The skies have gifted us a full week-end of snow just before Xmas, and so there is only one reasonable response: make Eggg Noggg!!!
While looking for recipes, I realized there was (at least) two schools of Egg Nogging: the Dark Rum School and the Bourbon School. Which one will win?
School of Darkness Rum-flavored Egg Nogg
Ingredients (for 4 small cups):
* 4 good eggs (salmonella is not invited)
* 1 can of sweetened condensed milk
* extra fresh milk
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* dark rum
* powdered nutmeg
1. Separate egg whites and yolks, whites in a big bowl
2. Beat the Christmas spirit into the egg whites until they're stiff and fluffy. Use a fork and several friends for an old fashioned arm work-out, or a mechanical egg beater for faster results. I do not recommend electrical equipment, as a bit of pre-egg nogg exercise will make your arteries forgive you for drinking such beverage.
3. Mix all the other ingredients, except rum and nutmeg
4. Fold in the egg whites, a third of it first, then the rest. Mix very gently until lumps disappear
5. Add rum to your liking. Thinking of all the egg bacteria, add more rum.
6. Taste the mixture, until there' s enough rum in the mix or no mix left.
7. Add nutmeg and/or cinnamon and/or cocoa powder
8. Make a second batch!
School of Mighty Bourbon Egg Nogg
Ingredients (similar quantities):
* 4 good eggs (nobody invited salmonella, I tell you)
* 1/3 cup sugar
* 1/2 cup Bourbon
* 1/4 cup Brandy
* 2 cups milk
* 1/3 cup heavy cream
1. Separate egg whites and yolks, both in a big bowl
2. Warm-up your beating muscles beating the egg yolks with the sugar, until it's thick and lemon colored. Then add the Bourbon and Brandy slowly to the mix. Remember, more Bourbon equals less worries about raw egg bacteria. A cup measure doesn't have to be precise.
3. Now that you're nice and warm, beat the Christmas spirit into the egg whites, like in the previous recipe.
4. As long as you're at it, pour the cream into a small bowl and, guess what? yes, beat it into fluffiness.
5. Now you're getting thirsty, so mix gently the egg whites and then the cream into the boozy yolk mixture. Done?
6. No, you forgot the nutmeg. Now you can drink.
7. There's nothing wrong with a second batch, it's a great arm workout!!